Monday, February 25, 2008

London Fashion Weekend

I did it. I made it to London Fashion Weekend. I was there, I shopped and boy did I have a great time. A few upsets and disappointments although all in all I must admit that it is quite an entertaining event. Just watching the young(er) generation sporting the latest fashion trends was entertaining in itself.


As you enter the venue set up on the grounds of the Natural History Museum in London I felt that although I had never been I just absolutely belonged. I knew all the designers and those I did not know I had heard of and those I had neither heard of nor seen were just as charming. Sure there was aboslute chaos, clothes flung here, there and everywhere, models on floors, and everyone sipping champagne or gorging on lovely free low-fat Skinny Cow ice-creams. Heaven.

I headed straight for my darling designers although I must admit a lot of them had brought out the old stuff that they just wanted to get rid of but nonetheless some of their pieces are a treasure anytime you buy them but my advice to anyone going to buy from London Fashion Weekend is this: Check your purchase. I'll say it again: Check and recheck your purchase. Make sure all the buttons are there, make sure no fat bitch before you has been in the dress and left a lipstick mark or horror: deodorant stains. Check for any visible wear and tear for once you buy it the party ends and you cannot exchange it. Those, my darlings, are the rules.

So what did I come out of there learning? Well, this Spring is all about color, color and more color. Tribal is in but now they are calling it Global Fashion and the Safari look is back ~(think English Patient not Tarzan and Jane). Floral is also back and for the love of God I have seen the Luella dress so many times it is driving me mad. It seems that Luella have managed to capture what floral is all about this season although for some reason I personally am not tempted to go for it. Also stars are in (Think Chanel and Topshop).

Wedges are still in so don't chuck out your old ones yet and the cone heel is really comfy. Who would have guessed? (Think Topshop and Nine West). Let's see, what else? Makeup is about shimmer (not glitter girls, shimmer), black mascara (not brown) and big big prints as well as big big bags and big big accessories. Ok, so anything BIG is in.

Hems are either knee length or long. No mid calf thank Heavens and think clutches that hold all. When going for accessories, it all about stones, beads and ethnic designs (think Mawi) and the best advice of all? Stick to your diet.


The good: Skinny Cow ice cream.
The bad: The London Fashion Week Gift Bag.
The Ugly: The toilets & the queues.


One of my purchases: Cheet Bag (normally it would have been £120 but I got it discounted at London Fashion Week). I also managed to get my hands on one of this season's hottest bags by designer charlott Vasberg for a really good price of around £200 (it will be in store next month at Selfridges for around £460). How cool is that?

No comments: